Pete C

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:14:58 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Do the pipes get pushed out of the fittings if they *do* freeze?

I don't know, but since there will be an expansion of the water as it
freezes, it is not going to help

I thought the biggest advantage of plastic pipework, rather than the extra
insulative qualities, was the fact that it can expand slightly to accomodate
volume change with a lower pressure increase.

The diameter will have to go up by 0.6mm with expansion from water
freezing, so I'd expect plastic pipe would be able to handle this.

After all it can be bent fairly tightly with cold forming bends which
must involve some stretching of the pipe on the outside.

Anyone on here had problems with plastic pipe or fittings splitting
when frozen?

cheers,
Pete.