Christian McArdle

Do the pipes get pushed out of the fittings if they *do* freeze?

I don't know, but since there will be an expansion of the water as it
freezes, it is not going to help

I thought the biggest advantage of plastic pipework, rather than the extra
insulative qualities, was the fact that it can expand slightly to accomodate
volume change with a lower pressure increase.

The type of joints are another matter. Most of the joints on the plastic
pipework I used are actually compression joints. Only a few push fits.

However, my guess is that plastic pipework is less likely to result in a
failed joint than similar joints in copper. I have no empirical evidence to
back this up, though, and what I would imagine to be the best joint
(soldered) is not available in plastic.

Christian.