Default Question About Dehumidifier Longevity

Hello All

Is there any rule of thumb to consider when deciding whether to repair
or replace a dehumidifier? The unit in question is a stand-alone Sears
Kenmore 65 pints per 24 hour dehumidifier that was purchased new, and
has been in use in an unfinished basement for three years. A drain hose
is connected so that it can run as necessary. We just set the
humidistat and leave it on 24/7 Sometimes it runs very little (heating
season), in the summer it may run much more (we live in Wisconsin).

The unit has just quit working. It is not totally dead. I can set the
humidistat to the lowest setting, the unit will then run for about 90
seconds then shut off as if the correct humidity level has been
reached. Possibly a bad humidistat?

Anyway - if you have experience repairing this type of unit, or have
had a dehumidifier repaired, I'd like your opinion on whether a repair
is cost effective and typically long-lasting. Or am I dealing with an
appliance that is better replaced than repaired? I haven't taken it in
for an estimate yet. I was just wondering if three years of service was
the norm and that it might be time for a new dehumidier.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.