Prometheus

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:23:37 -0700, Dooler
wrote:

I am wanting to build a workbench, but am unsure how to handle the
slope/unevenness in my garage. Do I make one leg longer than another?
Doing this would make it unlevel if I ever move. The legs/body is
going to be from hard maple and design is based off the how-to bench
from DIY network's show woodworking.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The way I leveled my router table was to get four 3/4" bolts and
matching nuts from the hardware store, and use them as heavy-duty
levelers. Basically, I just drilled a 3/4" hole in the bottom of each
leg as deep as the bolt could go, then a slightly larger hole for the
nut to fit into. Six taps with the chisel turned that larger hole
into a nice hex-shaped mortise, and then the legs could be leveled
with a wrench no matter where I put it.

You can buy levelers as well, but this approach seemed more sturdy.
FWIW, I wouldn't make the legs different sizes. At worst, you're
better off just shimming them.