Joseph Meehan

RBM wrote:
Doug, I've seen that many times myself. There are certainly types of
fixtures that mount close to ceilings that produce a lot of heat and
are fire hazards, however I still believe that a lot of these ratings
are more for liability than safety

So do you suggest the homeowner take the chance? Maybe it will not
burn you home down.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:
What would you *think* the answer to this question would be? Why
do you
think the manufacturers bother to put ratings and warnings on things?

My personal opinion is that it has more to do with liability than
safety. [snip] I'm sure a good portion of these ratings
is just to pass the liability on to you the installer or the consumer

Your personal opinion, however, is incorrect. It has everything to
do with safety. I've had the misfortune of needing to replace
numerous light fixtures
that previous homeowners used 100W bulbs in, despite the clear
warnings "Danger risk of fire use 60W max". The excessive heat of
the 100W bulbs has,
in every case, severely damaged the fixture wires, causing the
insulation to
harden, crack, and fall off.

--
Regards,