Andy Hall

Default How soon can I tile a new concrete floor?

On 17 Aug 2003 04:05:15 -0700, (Jon Weaver)
wrote:

My conservatory gets finished this week, and I wanted to lay some
floor tiles ASAP.

I was under the impression that I could do this straight away, but I
have just read the 'Topps Tiles' brochure which says that a new
concrete floor should be left 6 weeks.

However, its not quite as black and white as that as the base of the
conservatory is a 'raft', so the floor (Slab) was laid at the same
time as the footings.

This part was finished exactly one month ago today and considering the
heat that we have had over the past few weeks, I would guess that its
dry by now.

Once the plastic has gone on, the builder is coming back to lay approx
80mm of screed onto of the concrete that he laid a month ago.

How quickly can I lay ceramic tiles onto this 'screed' layer? I would
understand leaving it for a few weeks if laying laminate, but didn't
think that tiles would be a problem.

I had a very similar scenario of timescales and was told to leave the
screed for 3 weeks before laying tiles. This was done and it has
been fine.

I was hoping to start as soon as next weekend but should I wait a
while?

Yes. One thing that you may well find useful is to wash over the
floor with a 1:5 solution of PVA adhesive to water. This will
provide a light seal and stop the release of dust.

If I need to wait, is there anything that I can do to speed up the
'drying' process (i.e a de-humidifier)?

It isn't a drying issue, but a chemical curing one. The screed
should be allowed to do that naturally.

If I should wait, but choose not too. What are the implications of
this?

The tiles may well lift.

You should wait......

..andy