George E. Cawthon

badgolferman wrote:
My home A/C Carrier brand outside unit fan is squealing. It is
probably 15 years old but I don't know for sure since I've lived here
for seven years and the house was built in 1990. When I bang on the
cover it goes away for a while.

Is this something I can remove and grease the bearings or is it a
sealed unit and not worth fixing?

If I call a repairman what should I expect pricewise?

If this is repairable any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Getting to the fan and the motor should be
relatively easy. Remove a few screws and the top
will pull off. Turn the power off first. With
the top off, rotate the fan and feel if it is
rough. A 20 year old motor will usually have
dimples where the oil will go into the bearings.
To do a good job of oiling, you need to take it
out, remove the end caps, and clean the shafts,
but you can just add some oil with a plastic
bottle that has a long flexible spout such as Zoom
Oil. I would use a maximum of 10 drops on each
end. Turn the power on and try it before putting
the top back on, then turn the power off, do
whatever, and put the top back on.