Andy Hall

Default Loft insulation above spotlights

On 26 May 2004 12:29:52 -0700, (Roly) wrote:

A company recently installed loft insulation but didn't put any above
two ceilings which had low voltage spot lights installed in them.

When challenged, they claim that insulation must not be put above
spotlights.

While I can see the logic of not putting any immediately above a 60W
mains spotlight fitting, I'm not convinced that the entire bathroom
ceiling should be uninsulated because of four 20W low voltage spots
located towards the corners.

What would normal good practice be ?

I assume that the ceiling should be insulated, but maybe have a
circular gap cut out around the fitting.

You can get special covers to go over the top of the fittings, or
alternatively earthenware flower pots are suitable. Something like
200mm diameter types should be fine.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl