xmradio

"Fred Hayek" wrote in message
I want to check the valve guide bores in an automotive cylinder head. I've
seen some small-bore micrometers that cost several hundred dollars. These
are out of my budget. Can I get an accurate measurement with the less
expensive "split ball' type gages, some of which are sold under good names
like Starrett and Mitutoyo, and a regular flat anvil outside micromeeter?
Thanks

Valve guide clearance can be checked with a dial indicator.

Put the valve in the guide, wiggle it. This is the valve clearance. You
could knurle the guide to take up clearance if excessive.

Those spilt types are okay, we are not talking micro fits, more like 4thou
to 6thou is okay. And some valve guides take a seal on the
top....automovtive machine shops deal with all of this...

xman