BigWallop

"IanMcD" wrote in message

Hi,

I want to get cracking on a loft conversion on a bungalow and would
like some help in understanding the particulars of the materials I'll
be needing.

I have a lot of internal solid walls and plan to place RSJs from the
gable to the internal walls and suspend floor joists from them. I
understand that to do this I need joist hangers, I've never used a
joist hanger, do they differ in sie according to the dimension of the
RSJ, and how are they attached to the RSJ?

I also plan to extend supports vertically upwards from the rsj up to
the roof joists to support them intead of using the gigantic purlin tha
is in place. How are these vertical posts attached down to the RSJ and
upwards to the roof joist, is there some specialized bracket involved
here?

Finally, what mechanism is used to fix the RSJ itself in place. My
house is very long, 54 ft, so I plan to use two lengths of RSK, ie. 2
RSJs on each side of the house. I expect it is sunk into a hole knocked
out of the gable on one end and bedded in with concrete, is that
correct?
But then when I rest it on the internal solid wall , what is used to
hold it in place there?

I understand I'll need to abide by BR , I'll get my architect friend to
double check what I'm doing along the way but I'd like these questions
answered to help me in planning work,and pricing and ordering
materials.

Thanks for helping an adventurous DIYer save 10,000 euros. (in
ireland)

Ian

What does your structural engineer say about the calculations on this job?
What would he / she advise to make it all safe and secure?