Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Robert Latest says...

Hello,

does anybody know what, exactly, "coin silver" is (I found something
like 90% silver 10% copper, but are there other standards), and what its
mechanical properties are?

I'm looking for a replacement/alternative alloy for CuSn6 for
low-temperature, non-magnetic applications.

I thought 'coin silver' had a lot of nickel in it.

Nope------it's 10% copper, 90% silver, at least here in the US. It was the
standard for striking silver coins, likely the reason it's called *coin
silver*. Canada uses a lower silver content, I think 80%. Other
countries use varying percentages.

There is no nickel in coin silver, never has been, although nickels, during
the war years, were made from silver and manganese, with no nickel content.
It's easy to distinguish the war years nickels (aside from looking at the
dates) because the mint marks are very large. Likely none left in
circulation now, though. They were probably all taken out of circulation
when the silver content exceeded their face value, in the same manner the
rest of our silver coinage experienced.

Harold