RicodJour

Starting prep for a patio in the backyard - nothing big, maybe 10x12,
but my yard is slightly sloping and a lumpy mess.

What I have done so far is remove the grass and roots, and cleared the
area of most of the big rocks. (This turned out to be a hell of a job
-- took an afternoon of hard work with a steel rake.)

Anyway, I was thinking I still need to soften ground up to be able to
level it, so I was thinking loosen the soil, then use a 2x4 to run
across the area to level it.

Will this work? Do I need to get something to tamp it down hard or
what?

Sorry if these are stupid questions - thanks for your help.

Stupid? Nah, not at all. It's better to ask questions first than
ascribe blame later.

Since your yard slopes, are you planning on building up the low end to
level it, or cutting in at the high side? In general, as others have
state, you don't want to disturb more soil than you have to. If you do
you have to compact the disturbed soil. This can be low tech, slow and
cheap - pounding the entire surface with the end of a 4x4 - or faster
and more expensive - rent a plate compactor.