SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Starting prep for a patio in the backyard - nothing big, maybe 10x12,
but my yard is slightly sloping and a lumpy mess.

What I have done so far is remove the grass and roots, and cleared the
area of most of the big rocks. (This turned out to be a hell of a job
-- took an afternoon of hard work with a steel rake.)

Anyway, I was thinking I still need to soften ground up to be able to
level it, so I was thinking loosen the soil, then use a 2x4 to run
across the area to level it.

Will this work? Do I need to get something to tamp it down hard or
what?

Sorry if these are stupid questions - thanks for your help.

Bluesman

How close are you to sub grade? If you lower than the subgrade, bottom of
the slab get some sand and fill it in. It will take more than you think.