CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Steven L Umbach wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. All continues to work well and I verified that
the gas connections are leak free. I did some searching on the internet and
could not find any evidence of more than usual premature failures of gas
water heaters [gas delivery related] because of using white Teflon tape on
the gas pipe connection. My guess is that there probably is some sort of
inlet screen on the thermostat to stop large particles from getting into it.
Also I feel that disassembling it at this point could do more harm than good
due to all the Teflon tape that would come loose in the threads during the
removal process. Thanks again and next time for sure I will use the yellow
stuff. --- Steve

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message

I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings
for a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet
that you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just
leaving well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next
to the furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. ---
Steve

I used the gooey stuff on mine. Each of my downward pipes that is going
into the heater or furnace as a T at the bottom with dead end let with a
cap on it. I guess any thing that goes down that pipe ends up in this
small dead in drop area. There are several of these.

Is there any specific amouont of torque that should be on a gas pipe?

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert