Steven L Umbach

Default Teflon tape on gas pipe??

I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings for
a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that
you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just leaving
well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the
furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve