Colbyt

"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have a concrete planter (round cup-shaped top, stem, square base.
Urn-like, I guess), that doesn't have a drain hole. Is it possible or
feasible to drill a drain hole from the bottom of the "cup" through the
stem, and out the bottom of the base? It might be 7" or so. Will it crack
the concrete? Any other ideas? Thanks!

P.S. We really need some type of drainage, as the flowers are stunted and

heavy rain just filled the bowl!

It might.

The concrete used in the planters high PSI and very small or no rocks. You
might not need "hammer mode". I have added drainage holes to others before
but not to the style you have.

If the stem is 4" around or more, you work slow on a padded surface and no
more than a 1/2" hole you most likely will be able to do it.

As an alternative you might consider drilling a couple of 1/4" holes from
the base of the bowl to the outside going sideways and down. Of course this
will only work if one side of the planter isn't high visibility. This option
is safer IMO.

Colbyt