Sylvan Butler

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:07:40 -0400, Ted B. wrote:
sdb wrote
Hmm. I've been using a bump feed poulan (weed eater) for about 13 years
now, 1-2 gallons a fuel per year, never been a problem. Prior to that I
have hundreds of hours (and at least 150 gallons of fuel and 2000 ft of
string) thru other string trimmers without bump feed.

Compared to one second and keep on going with bump feed.

Granted, they were all cheapie models. But my experience is that the line
tends to get tangled very easily with a bump feed trimmer. Plus, even if it
doesn't get tangled, it almost never feeds correctly. So it's not one
second and keep on going. It's more like bounce the thing for several
seconds, give up, shut the thing down, tear it apart to untangle the line,

Sounds like your spool was not would neat and tight. I'll routinely go
thru a spool or two in a day with never a tangle or a feed problem, but
if the spool is "scramble" wound it will bind up real soon. With a
proper wound spool, (eg, as from the factory or better) I'll use up a
full tank of gas without a single string problem or else spend a day
stopping only enough to refill the gas and a 10 minute break to refill
the spool. And this was a $60-$70 consumer grade trimmer from sears
(compared to the professional units I used to use which cost $800+ and
weighed 30 lbs).

trimmer. My guess is that the line on the trimmer we use is probably more
expensive. Still, we only use about 10 cents worth of line every other
week, so cost of line isn't really an issue. But even if it was, it would

I've been looking for a bigger trimmer, and I stopped at sears tonight
to see and maybe buy their $120 32cc trimmer. But it had a head that
could only use the precut heavy line. $16 for 85 feet of that heavy
line was the cheapest they had. And it was a LOT MORE if you bought it
in the little tube all precut to length (ISTR it being about $0.50 per
piece). For $10 I purchased 400feet of line for my 13 year old trimmer.

be worth the extra money not to deal with a bump feed trimmer. IMHO -Dave

Glad you're happy, that's why options are available.

Other than it being so small, I'm happy with my bump feed trimmer as
well. Compared to having to stop and set down the equipment every 5-15
minutes to do a manual feed (on those old pro units) or rethread the
line, the bump feed seems a big improvement.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com