Duane Bozarth

I have changed others in my house, but not this one, so don't think it
is soldered. No others have been soldered. I think it is just tight
and old. Luckily it is right outsid of my garage, so the lead pipe is
not too difficult to access if there are signs of a leak. I have
drywall there, but it isn't finished.

Isn't there some type of chemical I can use to loosen the tension?

Yeah, it's self-generated as well...persperation.

What kind of pipe are we speaking of here? If it's turning, I'm
guessing galvanized? If so, and if you have or can get access, heat
(preferably a real torch, not just a propane torch) is best.

Or, if it isn't some other access problem, just go ahead and take it
apart where it wants to break loose and go from there. It can also just
be simpler to cut it somewhere convenient and then go on rather than
fight the disassembly.