Harry K

Harry K wrote:
Ed Christie wrote:
Some how the water tank loses the air in the tank. After a few

months
the well pump starts to short cycle. At this time I remove the plug
that is about halfway up the tank and drain the excess water
out.replace the plug and everything is OK for a few months more.

I can find no where for the air to leak out. It seems like it has

be at the top of the tank, above the plug that I remove to drain

out
the excess water. I don't think that it is the drain plug because

as
soon as it gets below the water level if there was any leak, it

would
then be water, and I dont see any wet spots.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Ed Christie

If your tank is a bladderless, there is nothing wrong with it. The

air
isn't leaking out, it is being absorbed in the water. A few months is
about the right time. You do have a problem with the snifter valve

or
other means that should be adding a shot of air every time the pump
starts.

If it is a bladder tank, your bladder is broken.

The simple fix in both cases is to simply replace the tank with a
bladder type. Cost of tank is reasonable and installation easy for
average homeowner.

Harry K

I should have expanded that a bit. I recommend replacing with a
bladder tank because that fixes the problem and eliminates having to
air up your tank every few months. It also makes your system work
closer to optimum, i.e., minimum number of pump starts. The bladder
tank needs to be aired up to 2 psi below your cut-in pressure. The
bladderless begins with the correct pressure when you first air it up
then gradually goes off optimum untill you are short cycling again.

Harry K