geoff

Default Baxi Solo 3 PF

In message , Darren Griffin -
PocketGPSWorld writes
geoff wrote:
It certainly seems to be the first thing to look at

If you are confident enough with electricity, you could try connecting
it up to the mains (via a plug with a 5A fuse in (unless you like big
bangs))

If it blows the fuse, you've found your problem

OK, firstly I now appear to have blown the PCB, tested last night without
pump connected and all was OK, switched off, connected pump, switched on and
there was a pop, noticed fuse on PCB had blown so replaced and even without
pump conncted this time there was no light indicating Boiler ON, removed PCB
and there is a small burn mark towards rear around two resistors, so I'll be
needing a recon replacement from you for starters! (Baxi Part: 231711).

Has the short circuit of the pump blown a track on the board?

As for the pump, disconnected, attached plug (with 5A fuse) and connected to
mains, as soon as it is switched on the master trip in the CU activates
although the 5A fuse does not blow! This obvioulsy suggests the pump has a
problem but my electrical knowledge is not good enough to explain why the
fuse remains intact.

The CU operated faster than the fuse blowing, or it is a short to earth.

The good news is there are valves directly above and
below the pump so a full system drain is not necessary.

So you can remove the pump after closing the valves

I'm not an expert on pump removal, but maybe a bit of WD40 or plus gas
on the threads now might be a good idea to let it penetrate for a while
before trying to undo it

Would you agree that the pump appears to have been the culprit here?

It looks very much like it

I'll
source a new replacement, it's a Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50 and hopefully
this should be relatively simple to replace.

Two nuts (don't forget the washers) and the L N E connections.

There is a 3 way rotary switch on the pump which is probably set to II.
You should set the new one to the same power setting

Make sure you fit the new pump the same way round as the old one (which
may sound pretty obvious, but I thought I'd mention it anyway)

As for the PCB, I'll contact
you directly regards a replacement.

--
geoff