Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Default Baxi Solo 3 PF

Set Square wrote:
Why, oh why didn't you follow the advice of testing the pump on its
own FIRST? You'd have saved yourself the cost of the new PCB for the
boiler!

The pump almost certainly has a short between live and earth. The
mains socket you plugged it into is probably protected by an earth
leakage breaker - which tripped before the fuse blew. The central
heating - along with freezers etc. - is probably on a circuit which
doesn't have earth leakage protection - causing the fuse to blow
instead when the pump was normally connected.

You'll need a large spanner (or adjustable) to undo the nuts on the
pump - and they might take a bit of shifting. It often helps to have
an assistant to hang on to the pump while you tap the spanner round
with a copper mallet. Make sure that you replace the (rubber or
fibre) washers between the valve flanges and pump body - and try not
to strain the surrounding pipework more than absolutely necessary -
since this can induce leaks elsewhere.

I know, it was stupid but in my defence I found a number of wires in the
airing cupboard junction box were loose and could be pulled out easily so
having tightened and checked those I foolishly thought I'd test in the vain
hope that this may have fixed it, of course it didn't and a blown PCB is the
price I'll have to pay for my idiocy!

--
Darren