On 9 May 2005 09:18:21 -0700, someone wrote:

I recalled that during the last home inspection, the inspector
mentioned that we cannot walk on the attic directly; we have to walk
on the rafter.

You inspector was using inaccurate terminology. The "rafters" are the
sloped faming that holds up the roof - hard to walk on those unless
you can walk upside down. The level pieces the tie the lower ends of
the rafters down are joists to me - ceiling joists if their primary
purpose is to hold the ceiling, I suppose they could be attic floor
joists if there was an attic floor. But anyway, all to picky.

What are you calling "on the attic directly"??? Of course you can't
walk on insulation that is only supported by the ceiling sheetrock,
you'd put your foot thru the ceiling.

Go up and just walk on the wood for cryin' out loud, get some common
sense. (If English is your second language, I cut your more slack
since informality in terminology could confuse you more.)