I can't give advice on where to walk. I have never heard of any joists
that you cannot walk on. The boards you see going across the floor of
the attic that you would walk on if you walked through the attic are
called joists. The boards that are nailed to the underside of the roof
are called rafters.
However, the hole may be a problem. First, if it's letting water in,
you must seal is properly to be sure water doesn't keep coming in.
Second, if birds or bees can get in the hole, squirrels, rats, and mice
can, too. And only a professional can tell you whether they have. And
since it's now Spring, rodents are looking for places to make nests.
Hire a professional rodent company.