Another Phil

Taking it at their word that it is for tobacco.....

It is not the curing of tobacco that is the problem, it is the taxes on the
pack of cigarettes.

Back about 50 years ago, I remember my Dad and Uncle having a flimsy metal
device sold by Bugle Boy Tobacco company that rolled cigarettes some what
close to un-filtered cigarettes. Bugle Boy sold tins of loose tobacco,
which did not have the "cigarette" tax. The user loaded up the tobacco,
placed a cigarette paper on the top and rotated the handle, and out popped
an un-filtered cigarette.

There was a elliptical form in the center about 4 to 5 inches side to side
and slightly deeper than a cigarette, a thin leather belt over the top, and
a lever hinged to the center, and it would swing side to side in a circular
arc under the leather belt. The lever had a dowel running front to back
under the belt. With the lever to one side, the elliptical shape of the
molding form and slack in the belt allowed the user to load up tobacco (on
the belt) between the dowel and the form. As the handle is rotated the
tobacco becomes tighter, and rounded in shape due to elliptical shape of
form and the circular path of the dowel. At the highest point in the path
of the lever, and the top of the form, a cigarette paper is placed on the
belt to get rolled up around the tobacco. With practice, a tight packed
cigarette which allowed a slower burn could be made.

Yes, I know I cannot describe it clearly in a text only format NG, and I am
working from just memory, but maybe you can get an idea of what I am talking
about.

Now, if someone were to come up with a woodworking design for a cigarette
roller.
- Pipe tobacco I think can be shipped across state lines.
- In my state, I think the law is you cannot sell cigarettes without paying
the taxes. You can roll your own legally.
- I keep hearing the rumor that the material to make cigarettes and cost of
manufacturing, transportation, and retail store profit is less than 40 or 50
cents.
- The rest is taxes. Sin Taxes.

Just to stir the kettle.

Phil