Koz

Ecnerwal wrote:

Teflon (or generically fluoropolymer or non-stick) coatings have an
appeal for certain jobs (like the inside of snowblowers and lawnmowers)
where manufacturers have chosen not to put them. I've always assumed
that the process is beyond small-shop capabilities, and gone in with
paint and wax when the rust and sticking of stuff that should slide out
is too bad. Is there some system that could work in a small shop, and is
accessible to mere humans without DuPont licenses and/or giant
heat-treating ovens?

Or particular (easily available) paints that do a better job of
approximating the effect, without being members of that family...?

To do it right, you have to clean like a suminagun, sandblast, zinc
phosphate (or similar) to make a good surface for adhesion, coat evenly
and bake evenly. Even then, it won't hold up all that well. Any
hydroxide type solution including many soaps will start the peeling
process. PTFE coating basically sucks.

Another option better for home application may be found at
http://www.sandstromproducts.com/solventsfl.htm. We've used their 9A
product over the years as a corrosion protectant. It also seems to act
as a reduced stick surface. I once had some sample parts shot-peened
and many people assumed the surface was PTFE as it felt "slippery".

A LOT of people (including the military) use this on gun parts.

Koz