Carolyn

Mike Clarke
wrote:
In article .com,
Jerry wrote:

Can anyone guide me on how to go about buying council land. Is it
simply it can't be done or are there laws that any one knows about
that may help me. I am interested in a piece of land in Cramlington,
Northumberland which
is attached to my house.

Depending on the land's use you might have problems. Some years ago a
group of us approached Blyth Valley council in an attempt to acquire
some of the land behind our houses in order to get better sized back
gardens, and save the council the cost of mowing it. We were turned
down because it had been designated in the development plan as an
open green space.

I did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. Applied for a piece
of the green playing area at the back of the alleyway that runs behind our
row of terraced houses, which made an `indent` into the alleyway wall..
This was so I could then `accquire` the section of my alleyway and extend
my small yard into it, thus making it more square firstly, and also large enough to
accommodate my motorbike.

I kept the council fully aware of what I intended to use this purchase for, and
as long as I agreed it would not be built upon (its far too small anyway, only
about 10x10feet square in total now, if that), they were okay with it. I guess it
depends on what they have the land earmarked for and what you intend to use it for.

--
Carolyn
CBR400RR Red/White/Purple