Gordon Henderson

Default Silicone Grease Not Found. Vaseline as an Alternative?

In article ,
Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi,

I want to replace the `grease' I've cleaned off the thread of the inside
of a tap on which the washer moves up and down as the tap is turned.
Googleling this NG suggests silicone grease is the thing to use, but I
can't find any locally. B+Q and Homebase don't stock it. Neither does
Plumb Centre, which surprised me. They suggested a local ironmongers
that didn't have it either but thought Vaseline would be a suitable
substitute.

Anyone know of a ready source of silicone grease? Is Vaseline an OK
substitute? I don't want to use something that will degrade the other
materials over time.

Do you have and SCUBA Diving shops locally? They'll sell it. They'll
probably charge you a fiver for a tiny tube or tub of it though.

Gordon