Tony Hwang

Julie P. wrote:

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in a good quality air
compressor for auto mechanics and auto body work this summer. I have about
20 different air tools, but they have been sitting around unused for 3 years
now, and I am getting tired of this. For example, I need to fabricate and
weld sheet metal to fix holes in my rocker panels, and I will need to be
able to run tools like a high-speed sander (aka "grinder"), 6" DA sander,
cut-off tool, air shears, etc.

Tomorrow is the beginning of Craftsman Club week at Sears, and I will be
able to buy a 60 gallon Craftsman Professional stationary air compressor at
Sears for only $432 plus tax and delivery. The normal cost is $549! This is
a limited-quantities, closeout item which has been drastically reduced!

Here are the specs:

http://snipurl.com/e6i5

Craftsman Professional Mfr. model #16561
Two Stage Compressor
Twin-V 2-Stage Oil Free
60 gallon stationary, vertical
175 PSI max
9.6 SCFM at 90 PSI
9.0 SCFM at 40 PSI
15 amps
7.0 HP
Direct drive
Internal cooling fan
240 volts
Warranty: 1 year
Weight: 192.0 lb.

The SCFM looks very low, but Sears rates this a 9 out of 10, which in their
system, means can power all-known air tools continuously, with no trigger
time and 100% duty cycle time (except for a 1" impact wrench and 7" sander,
which I don't use), since it runs on a maximum of 175 PSI. Only their
80-gallon compressor is more powerful. Does this seem suspicious?

I am also considering an Ingersoll-Rand 60 gallon compressor, for $799. But
there would be no discount for this:

http://snipurl.com/e6ia (or http://snipurl.com/e6im)

Ingersoll-Rand Mfr. model #SS5L5
60 gallon stationary vertical
Twin cylinder
Oil lube
18.1 SCFM at 90 PSI
135 max PSI
5.0 hp
9500+ hours of life at 100% duty cycle
230 volts
2 year warranty
weight: 310 lb.

I just don't want to spend almost $400 more on an IR compressor, which is
also 60 gallon, if it won't actually be that much more powerful.

So I would like to know if the Craftsman Professional 60 gallon compressor
will meet all of my needs? Or is the IR one really much better?

Also, aren't all these compressors made by the same company anyway,
DeVilbiss? See http://www.aircompressorsettlement.com/.

Thanks!

Julie

Hmmm,
It's no brainer. I got an IR beaten up one at auction dirt cheap, I am
sure it'll outlast new
Sears one. It runs strong and nothing needed to be done except cleaning.
Tony