Ed

Default The yard sinking

The ground in my front yard has sunk during years. The house was built
around 20 years ago and I am the only owner. The area is a straight line
that is about 8-10 feet long. The width at the widest part is about 3-4 feet
and the deepest part is probably about one foot deep. It runs parallel to
street and about 15 feet away from sidewalk. There are also 3 areas in the
backyard. All areas in the backyard are smaller than the one in front.

About 10 years ago, the street next to the curb sank. I called the city and
they pave over it and it did not sink again.

I have a few questions:

What can cause this?

How can I find out how serious it is?

If all I have to do is to fill them, what can I use so the grass will grow
again?

Thanks