John Rumm

Rodders wrote:

Hi, Wickes are presently doing an offer for their 15.6V Drill /
Driver. £19.99.
Can anyone tell me if this would be up to general DIY about the house
and garden.

Tricky one to answer since it depends a bit on what you expect from it
and what your idea of DIY is. It is fair to say at that price point it
is likely to be a toward the lower end of the general breed.

Also, can someone explain to me what the 15.6 V and 1.2Ah battery
means.

Battery tools are powered by battery packs. These are built typically
from individual cells that produce 1.2V. Hence most tools will operate
from a multiple of this voltage. 9V, 12, 14.4, 18V etc are all commonly
available. In theory the more voltage available the more power you can
get from the tool. The reality is far more complex than this however.

The Ah rating is a measure of the "capacity" of the battery - i.e. it
gives you an indication of the amount of energy the battery can supply
in total. In this case it is saying it could supply 1.2 amps for an hour
(0.6A for 2 hours, or 12A for 6 mins etc).

We have been working on a power tools section to add to the groups FAQ
document that may be of help to you here. Why not have a read, and
report back whether you find it helps?

The FAQ is usually found he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

However the power tools bit may not have made it there yet. In which
case you can find the draft he

http://www.internode.co.uk/diyfaq

I see apparantly less powerful machines for treble the price at
Screwfix.

Read the "catagories of tools" section, and the "cordless tools" section
to understand why there is such a large variation in price.

--
Cheers,

John.