Proctologically Violated©®

It does seem that mig/tig can become ends unto themselves at times--lotta
stuff, fidgeting....
But ito of "good welds", mig is actually pretty hellified--excellent
penetration, control, from what I have seen--I myself have just squeezed the
trigger for a while, but I've seen that skinny little wire do really thick
mat'l, nicely.

But, as I posted elsewhere, I do feel like a stick-welding dinosaur, what w/
teenage girls on these un-reality TV shows migging and plasma-ing away.

However, there is ultimately not that much loss in versatility w/ plain old
stick:
You can get rod, admittedly pricey, that will minimize spatter, look really
nice, mig-like. Helps to have DC, tho--and good technique.
Also, there is hellified rod for stick welding aluminum--no preparation, no
cleaning, no nuthin, just BANG, good effing alum welds--on thick aluminum,
too! Not pretty, but good. DCreverse, IIRC.

Can we say that real men use stick and O/A??
Or just broke men??
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Kerry" wrote in message
being a hobbyist on a budget and having been given a demo where a piece of
plate was "stuck" to another at right angles with a mig, then snapped
apart when I was supposed to be looking somewhere else. ( Obviously no
penetration.) I went with the current model Sears AC/DC box. It is a
Century I believe and has that slider adjustment. I will watch for it to
loosen up thanks to Keith. All in all the trailer I built and few other
projects have been fine. There are better machines but for my humble
needs I could not justify the higher priced wire machines especially after
reading what seemed like millions of posts about gas mixes and feed
problems etc. I am a simple kinda guy and the stick seems to have stuck
everything together for me so far.

"Art" wrote in message
Hi.
Im still searching for that elusive under $100, 180+ Amp AC 220v stick
welder, and came across an 1980's vintage Craftsman 35-230 A AC
machine for $85. Havent bought it yet. Was wondering if any one can
tell me who manufactured these for Craftsman, or offer an opinion on
the welder itself.

Thanks for any info.
Art

When replying via email, please remove all caps from my return
address.