Gunner

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

Tom, Id use at minimum, 1/2" plate placed at least on a 45' angle.
And make it as freaking big as you can. Seriously.
36"x36" or larger.

http://www.22ammo.com/bullettrap.html

And the front has to have at least a 6" high lip, even when filled
with 4" of sand..6" above sand level

http://www.shootingrangesintl.com/traps.htm
http://aec.army.mil/usaec/technology/rangexxi03a.html
http://www.caswellintl.com/traps.html

My personal preference is for the old rams horn helical bullet traps
most highschools had in their basement ranges.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"