Vox Humana

"Selma Jane" wrote in message
Of course, the traditional way to prepare a meat loaf is in the oven.
But I've heard of some people making it on the stove like a pot roast.
Have you ever made it that way?

I think of meat loaf as a dry roasted item. When you make a pot roast, on
the stove top or in the oven, it is braised. That it, you brown the meat,
add liquid, and slow cook it. The idea is to let the moist heat dissolved
the tough connective tissue and turn a less expensive, tough cut into
something tender and flavorful. Grinding the meat for meat loaf
accomplishes the tenderizing. Dry roasting something on the stove seems at
best inefficient and probably dangerous as it would require constant
attention.

I am aware of someone who cooks meat loaf in a pressure cooker. I find that
unappealing as it doesn't allow for any browning and probably yields a
ghastly gray lump of meat. Rather than making a meatloaf in liquid on the
stove top, I would probably just make meatballs - same thing, but you can
brown them first which makes them more attractive and more flavorful. Just
my opinion.