Mike

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...
I want to fix (bodge) a fence post aand I've got some ready mixed mortar
rhat must be a year or two old.

It looks perfectly good, but I understand that cement has a short shelf
life, even if kept warm amd dry; however mine looks perfect.

Just for interest, if it does deteriorate, could anyone explain the
mechanism - it would ease the pain of shelling out for a new bag!

It absorbs moisture from the air and forms hard lumps. If it hasn't done
this I still wouldn't recommend building a house with it but for a fence
post go ahead. The worst it can do is refuse to set.