Beartums

Default Radiator placement

My wife and I are having a discussion about radiator placement. We are in
the process of having our basement renovated. The rooms in the basement
have an 8-inch "shelf" about a foot and a half from the floor along the
outer walls of the building (part of the footing, since we had to dig down
to make the ceilings high enough). Currently, our contractor has placed
our hot-water radiators on the shelf under windows. My wife is convinced
that the radiators will never properly heat the rooms since heat goes up.
I believe that the room is actually warmed by being filled with heat
(otherwise, you would need radiators on all walls and even in the middle of
the room to heat the floor).

While I believe the optimal placement of the radiator would be on the
floor, the sizing of the radiator is MUCH more important, and the saving of
floor space in this case is more important that the minimal increase in
heating efficiency.

Can anyone add any comments or guidance on this issue?

tia