Wayne Whitney

Hello,

I don't really know anything about this, but I can tell you what the
1997 UBC and 2003 IRC say. :-)

On 2005-03-20, scobiewan wrote:

The total rise between floors is 128". She designed a
staircase with 17 risers for a unit rise of 7.53". She
also specified a unit run of 11".

Max riser height is 7.75" for IRC, 8" for UBC. Minimum tread depth is
10" for IRC, 9" for UBC. The IRC also requires a nosing between 3/4"
and 1 1/4" on stairs with solid risers.

My architect told me that "7.5 inch riser height and 10 inch tread
depth is ideal". This may be a matter of personal preference. You
might try out various stairs you encounter and measure their riser
height and tread depth (ignoring nosing).

One other thing is that it's a straight stair. Is 18
steps too long to go up without a landing somewhere?

Both IRC and UBC require a maximum of 12 feet between landings. So a
landing is not required. Personally, I don't think one would be
beneficial.

Cheers, Wayne