Appliance Repair Aid

Fr@nk wrote:
I have a Sharp microwave (Model R1480) over-the-range model. Has the

smooth
touchpad style membrane buttons on the control panel. Anyway, the

button
that controls the Work Light (over the range top--it's mounted in the

bottom
of the microwave) no longer works. At first I thought the light bulbs

(two
of them) burnt out, but after replacing them, they still don't turn

on. All
the wiring between the bulbs and the control panel appear intact. I

guess
the button/switch in the control pad doesn't work. The strange thing

is the
button for the exhaust fan, which is right next to the light buttons,

does
still turn the fan on/off. Can a single control button go bad on

these?

Anyone know if I can repair just this worklight switch/circuit

(replace the
wires?), or will I probably have to replace the whole control panel

(I've
seen it for ~$50 online--ouch)? At least if I do have to replace it,

it
looks like it just pops in and out, and the connectors do the same.

Any
advice on this is appreciated; thanks.

Hi,

Anyway, the button
that controls the Work Light (over the range top--it's mounted in the

bottom
of the microwave) no longer works.

*Might* be the key panal, but more likely something on the smart board
let go....relay, burnt trace, etc.

it
looks like it just pops in and out, and the connectors do the same.

The key panal is pinched between the plastic consol and the smart
board, the whole consol would likely have to come off to access it.
When ever working on a microwave the high voltage capacitor should be
discharged.

I found these with your model#...
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=958501
Touch pad