Appliance Repair Aid

David Burge wrote:
I have a Kenmore direct drive washing machine model #110.28922790

bought
around 88-89.

When the washer is agitating there is a steady loud clicking noise

coming
from the front of the motor. I can also see a spark behind the plate

of the
drive motor switch that sparks in unison with the loud click. All

the other
cycles are working fine.

I'm guessing the switch is going bad but wanted to verify with

someone else.

What do you think?

Thanks,

David

Hi,

When the washer is agitating there is a steady loud clicking noise

coming
from the front of the motor.

-Some- common noise makers....something in the drain pump, agitator
drive dogs are worn, motor, gearbox.

I can also see a spark behind the plate of the
drive motor switch that sparks in unison with the loud click.

Loose/burnt wire at the motor plug?...loose burnt contact inside the
motor switch?...loose burnt wire inside the motor? Doesn't seem like a
healthy motor

I'm guessing the switch is going bad

They do go bad...but can cost approx 1/2 of the cost of the whole motor
( which comes with a new switch )...

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=156
Washing machine drive motor, 3 speed

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=905527