John Stumbles

[news] wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:

What's the best method of stripping the paint bearing in mind that it
may include lead paint.
I don't particularly want to use highly toxic/dangerous materials like
Nitromors.

Without Nitromors, you won't be successful. It's pretty hard work even with
Nitromors. There is no quick and easy solution, I'm afraid.

I didn't find nitromors much use. I got a lot off with Kling Strip
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/STRKS/
but it didn't get right down into the crevices (maybe I didn't leave it
long enough). It was hard to apply, being very thick - like almost-set
plaster - and very difficult to get off since the fireplace was in-situ
and I couldn't hose or pressure-wash it down. I don't know if PeelAway 1
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/p/PALPA1/ would have been any
better, even Ronstrip.

A much better (an easier) result can be had by removing the fireplace. A
friend did this and put it on the bonfire on Nov 5th, and it came up
beautifully.

Even allowing for time to remove it, refit it and make good your plaster
I think this is possibly the way to go.