John Stumbles

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article .com,
writes:

On LBC radio I caught the tail end of a discussion about tipping
tradesmen. The presenter, Daisy what ever her name is, actually
advocated tipping a plumber for doing a good job.

I've had a few clients who've tipped me - usually 5 or 10% - and it's a
very nice appreciation of my work.

******** to that idea. I've never met a plumber that good, or one
that didn't give me the distinct impression he'd already added the tip
to the bill.

I'm pretty sure I did a good job for the clients (I think I usually do,
though nature being what it is things occasionally go pear-shaped) and
the only time I've ramped a bill up was when I got called out on a
Sunday to do a non-urgent job and it was being paid for by an insurance
company.

Perhaps the idea could be extended to other groups who don't need or
deserve a tip. Any ideas, I thought perhaps solicitors or estate agents.

Last time we moved house, the Pickfords crew that turned up did a fantastic
job. I couldn't fault them, and I have plenty of experience of good and
bad removers. They got good tips.

The last - and only - time we used removers I tipped them, only to find
as we unpacked that they'd tipped themselves already.