Alex W

Rick wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:48:11 +0000, macon
wrote:

hello, I am planning to cut a larger opening in an outside wall made of
blocks. There is a large window at the moment and I want to install a
double french window.
I have permission from the building controls. I would like to know what
tools to use and how to proceed appart from supporting the load bearing
wall, which I know how to do. thank you.

You need a long drill, to drill through in each corner of the opeing,
then a pencil and straight edge to join the dots, then an angle
grinder to make the cut. then a hammer and chizel to take out the
blocks, and a wheelbarrow to shift them away ...

Rick

I would *not* reccomend an angle grinder for this application as they
are usually direct drive electric powered, which means if they catch
whilst cutting they don't slip or stall, but propel the tool away from
the work piece. The larger ones can be a beast just to handle due to the
gyroscopic effect. Dust will be a problem too and you can't wet things
much as its electric!

I would use a stone cutter ("Stihl-saw"), which are usually petrol
powered belt driven and are a lot safer to use. You can usually wet cut
by attaching a hose pipe to these and adjust them to trickle water on to
the blade, which reduces the dust a lot.

Stone cutters can be hired from HSS/Hewden etc.

I once trimmed door aperture with a 9" grinder and would *never* do it
again like that as I value my fingers toes and especially face! I have
used Stihlsaw's too and found them to be a much better option for this
sort of work.

Alex.