Lobster

Nigel Heather wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Crimping or freezing the microbore was the only way I could see it possibly
working but even then doesn't seem practical.

The pipes come out of the wall, not the floor. He would have to remove a
lot plasterboard to reveal sufficient pipe to freeze or crimp before the
capping point (and that will leave me with a big decourating job). Also I
assume he would have to freeze it a long way back to stop it from melting
when he solders the end cap on.

OK, is this on a stud partition (plasterboard/timber) or a dry-lined
solid (brick/stone) wall? If the former, you might be able to cap off
the the pipes and poke them back into the partition, to avoid damaging
the wall surface.

Where do the pipes go next? Presumably either downwards and then below
the floorboards, or upwards and under the upstairs floorboards? Either
way your best bet would be to lift floorboards in either location, and
isolate the pipes the that also avoids leaving live 'wet' pipes with
the stud partition.

If you're going to diy it (and it's not a difficult job)... if you've
never done anything like this before, don't even think about trying the
pipe freezing trick: it adds a whole new element to the game! Just drain
it down as need be and refil afterwards.

You can do this without soldering if you don't want to: you can buy 10mm
compression-fitting stop-ends.

David