Norminn

clipped

I have have read about tiling over existing tile. Has anyone one done
that? Results?

Not exactly - we have 35 y/o metal tile on backsplash over cooktop in
our kitchen, which apparently was installed to last forever ) Paint
was fading, and repaint and ripping out tile not attractive ideas. We
considered ceramic tile over it, but I don't like greasy grout. We used
contact cement, same as contractor used on other areas, and covered it
with neutral color laminate (same type as counter tops), then installed
textured glass over that, held in place and sealed up tight with clear
silicone caulk. We had the glass cut, edges ground, then tempered.
Looks great, cleaning is a snap, and cost about $80 total for that area
of wall. We were "lucky" to get seconds of laminate at HD. When we
first thought of using glass, I considered just a colored glass - or
painting the back side - hung like mirror. When we visited the glass
shop, hubby liked a particular pattern. Since it came only 6' wide with
up/down pattern, we have a seam. Did the seam with clear sil., after
making sure that both pieces were level and flush with each other. The
seam is almost invisible because of the pattern. If we get tired of it,
we can cut the caulk and haul it to the trash. It is about 7' wide,
between counter backsplash to upper cabinet.

I've looked around quite a bit for ideas for using glass, and found zip.
If I had my druthers, I would have used a laminate with more color and
pattern, with perhaps just a wavy glass over it. The glass shop
mentioned one other person who used a green glass which had been
sandblasted - sounded gorgeous. Some clear glass with wire mesh is
pretty cool for "tech" looking kitchen.

I can email a pic, if you like.

If I end up having to remove the old tile, does anyone know how to take
the tile adhesive off the plaster wall? Heat gun and scrape?

Has anyone done this? Maybe remove the old mastic and add 1/4 inch
backerboard to even out the gouges I'll probably get from removing the
mastic?

I've been to tile stores but the sales people only know how to sell tile
and have been of no help.

Thanks, Jane