mac davis

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:17:00 -0500, "Camoman" wrote:

What is the best way to take the bark off. Do I have to remove the bark off
the log before I turn it or can I just turn it off. Is this to hard on the
chisels or not? And can you recomend some good turning books to get so I can
learn better ways and skills. Thanks

I find that it depends a lot on what type of tree it is...

Some have a thin bark that is a PITA to take off before turning, so I leave it
on..

Walnut bark is pretty easy to pry off, and saves a lot of cleanup later as it
flies all over the shop in large sections if you leave it on..

I've been turning a lot of green pine lately, and I'm using a chisel and rubber
mallet to remove as much bark as possible, to avoid the mess and shower of
water... pine sap is bad enough to deal with, but wet, sticky bark all over the
lathe, chisels and shop are not a good thing.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing