GerryG

I think the 2x lumber will give you more mass than strength. For that
length, putting an 80# rig near the middle will still sag. For instance,
a large, hollow-core door will probably have less sag (torsion box) and
be lighter and cheaper. Otherwise, I'd just use a melamine sheet to get
a nice, clean workspace. For strength, I'd put a 4" rail in the back
along the length, another in the middle, and maybe a 2" drop lip in the
front. Putting a leg in the middle (or two legs along the length), maybe
half-way back to allow knee room, would add more strength than anything
else.

I'm actually going to build a station shortly, but this will be a
vertical column with a drop-down workspace, about 3' wide and 8' high.
Melamine with rails for support.

GerryG

RadioHead wrote:
Hey folks -

I have finally found the plans for the perfect ham radio desk, but have a
few questions. Am modifying a workbench plan into a communications desk -
heavy duty - as I have some older ham radios that weigh in @ approx 80 lbs,
so I need good support and a very sturdy top. The top I have planned is 33"
wide and 80" long and will be three 2x11" planks. Thinking pine - any
suggestions? How much will these boards cost, any idea? Any suggestions on
another way to go and still remain heavy duty? No idea how much this project
will cost to complete, but it will be completed. Any help from you
woodworking pros in the group would be much appreciated. This is our first
woodworking project together....wish us luck!

Thanks!