Bill Otten

I think the plywood idea has merit, and I'd opt for the strength of good
3/4" birch ply -- the more laminates the better. Even with the strong
plywood, I'd build a good frame and brace the work surface from underneath.
Incorporate as many needs into the design as you can....plenty of drilled
openings for passing the coax, connecting cables, ground wires. An area
underneath the console for a single point ground (see my webpage for more
radio ground ideas at http://www.knology.net/~res0958z/ ). And anticipate
the eventual accumulation of more equipment. What ham op doesn't suffer from
G.A.S or gear acquisition syndrome? Finally, start to consider the modern
solid state stuff over the old boat anchors....my entire rig is considerably
smaller than the Johnson Viking II and Hallicrafters SX-28 SkyRider I
started with and is remarkably more capable.

73,
bill otten
KC9CS

"RadioHead" wrote in message
Hey folks -

I have finally found the plans for the perfect ham radio desk, but have a
few questions. Am modifying a workbench plan into a communications desk -
heavy duty - as I have some older ham radios that weigh in @ approx 80
lbs,
so I need good support and a very sturdy top. The top I have planned is
33"
wide and 80" long and will be three 2x11" planks. Thinking pine - any
suggestions? How much will these boards cost, any idea? Any suggestions on
another way to go and still remain heavy duty? No idea how much this
project
will cost to complete, but it will be completed. Any help from you
woodworking pros in the group would be much appreciated. This is our first
woodworking project together....wish us luck!

Thanks!