On 14 Feb 2005 16:59:51 -0800, wrote:

I searched the discussion groups for laser levels and found a few
references here so I will ask you for assistance.

Can anyone tell me if there exists a tool to project a straight line
about 10 feet outdoors?

I am looking for a laser level (or some other tool) to project a line
outdoors on the ground (actually a very well maintained, extremely
short cut grass lawn) on a sunny day. I would like to be able to see
the line for 8 to 10 feet (maximum of 20 feet). I am looking for a
laser level type of projection because I can not drive any stake into
the lawn and I can not leave a mark on the lawn when I am finished.
Also other people will be walking around the area and I do not want
them to trip over any physical line. I need to adjust/rotate the
projected straight line easily a few degrees to the left or the right
as needed.

I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot, Lowes, or
Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in sunlight no
line is visible). I expect there exists a solution but my price range
is limited.

Your suggestions (and price ranges) are most welcome.

TIA, Terry

survey twine and two bricks. the twine comes in dayglo colors. the
bricks are red. if you need more visibility, paint the bricks dayglo
too.

wrap the twine around the brick two or three turns and stretch it
where you need it.