ameijers

"Lillian Riddle" wrote in message
nk.net...
Block wall in the basement is bulged out a couple inches. Horizontal crack
about 30 ' long. Am getting estimates on putting wall anchors in. The
anchors consist of 9' threaded rods which are ran through the wall and
attached to a plate inside and an anchor plate in the yard. This sounds

like
such a simple job that I was thinking about attempting it myself. Think I
should try to do this myself? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO, if you are gonna be digging up the yard anyway, better to do the job
right and rebuild the wall, adding proper backfill and drainage this time,
and fixing whatever grading/gutter/sloped porch problems led to the bowed
wall. (I'm assuming this is the classic hydrostatic pressure damage, not a
slumping hill or something.) Even if these wall anchors keep the wall from
moving, they won't stop the water that is probably causing the problem. With
a bulge that big, is there current leakage after big rains, or evidence it
has leaked in past? And has a Real Engineer looked at the problem, or just
the 'basement repair' guy? Anchors like that, interior piers, etc, are all
just temporary fixes. Agreed, temporary may be long enough to sell the
house, or even the rest of your life, but IMHO they aren't a proper fix.

aem sends...