The Natural Philosopher

top gear wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
top gear wrote:

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced
with Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that
is approx every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick
50 gearbox treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will
remain like new for nearly all the life of the car.

If this is the case, do Slick supply a warranty?

I ran a car from new up to 110,000 miles and did what I suggested to the
group. A automotive design engineer suggested the Mobil 1 in the g/box and
Slick 50. He said the Slick 50 g/box treatment is worth it as in puts a
slippery film around the metal parts. It mixes fine with the Mobil 1 oil
with no adverse affects. Do a Google and you will find that people who put
this stuff into g/boxes with wet clutches have had clutch slip. The engine
stuff he was not keen on at all.

I sold the car to a relative and suggested carrying on from where I left
off. He has and is now up to around 160,000 miles. The car still sounds
newish, except some belts squeak at bit. His driving is predominantly stop
start around town, short runs.

A few tears ago I had a boss who had a passat that had done 200,000km -
I supoose about 160k miles?

Ordinary oil, changed by the book, and it was fine.