Joseph Meehan

Robert Barr wrote:
???? How is that possible? Where did the heat go?

I had this problem a year ago, and that's how I found the problem: My
water was suddenly ferociously hot when I'd shower. The short feeds
through what would be the neutral side (bypassing the thermostat).

I'd get just a little bit of discharge when I opened the T&P valve
manually, so I guess it was just on the verge of overpressure or
overheat.
You could hear the localized boiling just by standing next to the
water heater.

Thanks. I was thinking that about the only way it could be absorbing
all that power would be if some of it was duping out the T&P as very hot
water or steam. I would think most people would notice it.

What limited it to
30 amps?

I was wondering the same thing. It's not a dead short, but very very
low resistance.

Colbyt

--
Joseph Meehan